Sunday, March 4, 2007

New Blog




This is my new blog for knitting and personal information. I wanted to leave the other blog (designknitting.blogspot.com) for the Calendar information.



I will be adding information about knitting, my patterns, personal info on this blog. I did finish up everything pertaining to the Calendar last week so time to move on.




I am working with different border looks for cloths. I think we get bored with the Garter and Moss stitch borders. Of course no one is strapped with having to do the exact border a pattern calls for. I have converted Garter stitch borders to Moss stitch and Moss to Garter borders. I believe it depends on the look you want to have. I use Moss to dress up a cloth and Garter to dress down a look. I don't like using Moss if the cloth pattern is fancy, I think it detracts from the design, unless Moss is part of the pattern. If you have a "Picture" cloth you are working with that has just one point of focus then you would probably want to make it a Moss border.




My new pattern called "Moss N Ivy" uses the Moss stitch as part of the border and pattern. I wanted to "frame" the cloth so I used this as part of the design. If you ever want to change a border to Moss but don't know how to do this, use the following as a rule of thumb:


This is worked over two stitches (K1, P1). If you have an uneven number of stitches in your design, every row will start with K1 and end with K1. If you have an even number of stitches in your design, you will need to rotate the pattern. Row 1 will be K1, P1 and end with P1. Your next row will have to start with P1, K1. What is the secret of this.....If a row ends with K1, then the next row will start with K1 and vice versa.


I will be adding the pattern as soon as I have it tested and make any necessary changes.

Janet Nogle
jnogle@cox.net

No comments: